“Open, thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law” (Psalm 119:18).
Following is a list of the benefits you will gain by reading God’s Word. (This list is from notes that I took years ago from a radio broadcast. I’m not even sure who the speaker was, so I’m not able to give proper credit; nevertheless, reading the word has definitely made an impact on my life.)
Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible, is divided into twenty sections. The Bible is a powerful book and if you will search the scriptures, you will find truth and direction for your life:
1. It establishes my way.
2. It purifies my life.
3. It gives me counsel.
4. It removes everything false in me.
5. It produces reverence for God.
6. It increases my courage.
7. It comforts my afflictions.
8. It guards me from panic.
9. It teaches me discernment and knowledge.
10. It makes me resourceful.
11. It cultivates patience.
12. It keeps me spiritually revived—recharged.
13. It accelerates my understanding.
14. It creates a joyful heart.
15. It sustains me when I feel helpless.
16. It enables me to honor right and hate wrong.
17. It causes me to walk in the truth.
18. It surrounds me with delight in spite of difficulty.
19. It develops the discipline of prayer.
20. It rescues me when I am defenseless.
21. It draws me back when I stray.
22. It fills me with praise without and peace within. (submitted)
When we read and study the scriptures, the Lord promises to bring light into our darkest night. There is no problem that we can’t handle when the Lord is in control, unfortunately, we sometimes forget how great God is. “Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13).